Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I am Salvage

"I do not know much about gods; but I think that the river
Is a strong brown god--sullen, untamed and intractable,
Patient to some degree, at first recognised as a frontier:
Useful, untrustworthy, as a conveyor of commerce;
Then only a problem confronting the builder of bridges.
The problem once solved, the brown god is almost forgotten
By the dwellers in cities--ever, however, implacable,
Keeping his seasons and rages, destroyer, reminder
Of what men choose to forget. Unhonoured, unpropitiated
By worshippers of the machine, but waiting, watching and
waiting."

I too, do not know much about gods, and I do believe that the river could be a strong brown god if that's what you believe. Myself--I have found in this opening line to the third quartet. My-self is woven into the pages of this tiny book that is supposed to be attached to our bodies this entire semester. My-self is back to school.


~L.

No comments:

Post a Comment