Monday, March 29, 2010

The Rough-IST of paper ideas

Silence, it's all around us, but we fail to listen and fail to see the epiphany of everyday life. I want to think about this and form my paper around the Epiphanies of Everyday Life, the epiphany of silence and simplicity, solitude, spirituality, and soul. All these are significant parts of our lives that we talk over or push aside for more distracting distractions.

When people die or there has been a major catastrophe we take a moment of silence to remember those in need or those who have passed on to the world above the moon. These moments of remembrance and silence seem to fall into our class discussions of remembrance. And now our silence is trumped by the sounds of instant gratification. We as a society have silenced our silence with commodities, and the desire to purchase, consume, and collect material objects that "make us happy." Many times we forget to observe, removing ourselves from the world of chaos and noise. We need to remove ourselves to a world of silence and remembrance.

I am still figuring this out, but I think that meditation is a good place to start for me to dream up my papers meaning. What is the point of this paper?--to show myself that I too am caught up in a world of noise and the silence is almost deafening to listen to because it hasn't been heard in an obscene amount of years?--or is this paper going to connect my life of chaos to the life of divine being? I want to make sense, and I want to write something meaningful, but fear that if I try to hard I will fail. The desire to succeed is overwhelming and causing me to have anxiety of the author for sure, and to "just do it" seems like a daunting task, and that I might have stuck my foot in my mouth when I preached it in my blog.

In order to succeed and have the divine being appear to me I must sacrifice not just my life but my soul and my knowledge...but does that mean I must forget in order to remember? Or does it mean that I must sacrifice my fun in order to gain more knowledge about the divine?

I will figure this out, just as Arjuna has his moment of distraction, as well as Hamlet, Toad, Mole, and even Ratty. Our ability to distract ourselves from the task at had will be my biggest hurdle to get over.

~L.

No comments:

Post a Comment